[COSCUP / GNOME.Asia 2010] Seeking for financial support.

Dear all,

As we discussed last Tuesday, registration of event was opened at 7/5,
and we received 1193 registrations in 85 minutes. However, some of
them registered more then once, because a bug of new registration
system of this year. There are about 900 unique participants will
attend to the event. But we only planned to release 610 seats, there
are 310 more people then we expected.

We have examined the log, we found the first 610 seats were all booked
in 15 minutes. (You can see the enclosed chart for the numbers of
first 30 minutes.)  And there are even more people like to attend the
event, but they missed the open registration day at 7/5. To response
for highly expectation of thousand of participants, we like to open
more seats for them, as you suggested in the irc meeting last Tuesday.

The first idea is to have one more conference room for the fifth
track, since we have rejected about 30 talks for sharing 37.5% of
conference program with GNOME.Asia Summit. But it turns out that the
team can not afford 5th track, it cost too much human resources, and
it's way to difficult to manage at one month before the event.

So , our approaches are -
* We are now working with a local Blog Services Provider to provide
live streaming for the event.
* We have booked 2 more conference rooms for people who can not have
seats in the main venue. We will provide broadcasting of the talks in
these rooms, so we can have 400 more seats for participants.

However, to maintain basic *quality* and make participants
*comfortable* in the meetings. There are more extra expenses, like
venue renting, lunch boxes, insurance, water, walkie talkie, etc. (see
budget list for more details[1]) Which will cost us about NTD 202,600
(about 6,300 USD). That will make us running a risky cash flow, and we
will not save cash as reserve fund for COSCUP 2011.  (Since COSCUP
grows more then 50% every year, we always save 25% of sponsorship cash
as revolving fund for next year. In fact, our 10K USD revolving fund
will be all used for the event of this year.)

The current sponsorship status are
* COSCUP - raised about 40K USD
* GASC       - raised about   5K USD

In order to afford the extra costs and maintain a healthy financial
status, we need more funding. In fact, COSCUP team has already secured
two more sponsors after 7/5.  Other than COSCUP team's own cost like
travel sponsorship for speakers/staffs, meetings, web sites, there are
about 33K USD for shared cost of two teams.  We do need to find more
financial support for the event, and I like to ask your help for
funding. I hope we can discuss and find solutions in the irc meeting
of 7/13.

Thanks.

[1] http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AgIA9Z5Z55vldGhmSThMblNzZ3BLczl5QVhrZEdvQVE
Best Regards