Re: So how this goes?

Lyndon Drake wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 03:27:28PM -0700, David Fallon wrote:
> > Keep in mind the announcements on the main gnome list earlier today... it
> > looks like IGS (international gnome support) will be hiring a bunch of
> > people (7?) fulltime to be working on a gnome mail program that integrates
> > well with gnomecal/gnomecard and uses the gnome mailer (renamed evolution,
> > now) code for the backend. I'd bet balsa as we know it will be defunct, and
> > unfortuantely, that looks like a good thing. Hopefully, all of us who have
> > been trying to get a good gnome email client, but don't have the
> > time/resources to really commit to balsa can switch over to this new one,
> > and get to see some real progress.
> >

> Even with that, I'd say that there should be at least some GUI code worth
> salvaging from Balsa.  And quite a few people have contributed patches to
> Balsa, and have experience that would be invaluable in the development of
> Evolution.

<unlurk>

It wouldn't be hard for someone to get write access to Gnome CVS - you
only have to ask, in general.

So if someone felt like taking over the balsa project, at least
unofficially, I'm sure the gnome admins would be happy with that.

I asked once, and Miguel said 'yes, fine..' - but I became busy, and
never took him up on it.

I'd be interested in helping with the balsa project (with a view to,
later, integrating with or being replaced by, evolution).  I *really*
need a decent IMAP mailer, so I'd work on hacking some proper IMAP
support into balsa.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |