Problem with mail box in /var while installing

Hello all,

When I installed balsa I had a problem. At one point during the install you
are asked to approve the location of different mailboxes including one which
is in somewhere in the /var. When I did not change the setting and clicked
ok I got an error code errno and it told me there was a problem creating the
mailbox inside the var hierarchy. Finally I specified my home directory as
the recipient for that mailbox and installation went through ok.

My question is how detrimental can be the fact that I located that mailbox
in my home directory instead as in the /var ? I am asking myself this
question especially cause I want to use procmail to filter my messages and
I'm wondering if my current setup will have an effect on using procmail
successfully. Any ideas ?

Also if this is detrimental in any way, how can I solve this problem ? Maybe
a change in the permission settings of /var ?

TIA,