Broken display options for mime parts.

On 2001.09.01 16:10 Carlos Morgado wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 12:17:31AM +0200, Guido Amoruso wrote:
> > Thanks all!
> >
> > I've had nice suggestions: my problem with e-mail is due to the fact
that I
> > haven't find on the Web any clear place explaining all the stuff
reguarding
> > formats of mailboxes used by the different clients (do tou know
something?).
> > In fact - it seems to me - outlook 4 and 5 use different formats (.mbx
and
> > .dbx), which are prorietary; I thought Eudora use standard Unix format,
but
> > it's not so (the troubles are with some <x-html>, <x-flow>...??...);
and
> > what about Netscape?
> >
> <x-html> isn't a mailbox format problem, it's a "what's inside the
message"
> problem. If the message isn't constructed properly or uses unknown MIME
tips
> the mailer will just say "I don't know what this is. I can't display it".

Which tickles another pet peeve of mine... I'd really like to have an
option
on almost _any_ type that says "put this in a pane as if it is plain text".
If handled carefully, this should not cause any harm, and will be wonderful
for all those times when people send patches as application/octet-stream.

(Yes it would be nice if they didn't but we can't fix that)

I've also noticed that there is some rather painful stuff going on with the
mime handling... On my system (Redhat 7.1 + Ximian) I sometimes get a menu
of about a dozen things when I right click on an attachment... Can we make
this better? It looks like balsa is getting a list of everything that
appears
in any mime file and sticking it up there (the offending items were part of
the gnome-vfs stuff).
	-gordo