Re: HTML document "attachment" icon

On Fri,  7 September 10:11 Toralf Lund wrote:

>  > My problem is not the principle, it is that features are being added on
>  > an
>  > ad-hoc basis when the correct approach to the problem can be determined
>  I agree, more or less. I still think the patch *I* submitted was
>  acceptible, though (well, obviously I do, or I wouldn't have posted it in
>  the first place.) Its approach is far from correct or complete, but it is
>  at least more correct than the original one. I don't think we can expect
>  all updates to fully implement the correct algorithm without any shortcuts,
>  but perhaps that was not what you meant.

What I'm getting at is it's better to expend effort on the 'correct' approach
rather than patching something that is wrong otherwise it very quickly
becomes impossible to determine what the code is supposed to do.

>  > However, perhaps the following is a reasonable approach.  If a message
>  > comprising of single part is marked as an attachment then you have a
>  > message
>  > consisting only of an attachment.  Show the icon.  If not, then if the UA
>  > cannot display the MIME type show the attachment icon.  Otherwise, no
>  > icon.
>  >  > This much should be easy.  It has the advantage that the icon is
>  > displayed
>  > only if something must be saved for use by an external viewer.
>  >  > For multipart structures, search the hierarchy.  If there are any parts
>  > marked as attachment, show the icon.  If there are no attachments and an
>  > inline part cannot be displayed, show the icon.  In multipart/alternative
>  > show the icon if there are higher quality versions of the document than
>  > the ones that can be displayed by the UA.
>  >  > This is probably more difficult - I'm not that familiar with libmutt's
>  > MIME
>  > handling.
>  Seems complicated to me, but I don't know libmutt, either.

I am given to wonder if the "part available but cannot be displayed"
should be indicated differently to (perhaps in addition to) "attachments
available".

Brian