problem with configure : false report ?

Hi all,

  I hit a problem with running ./configure for the stable balsa version
1.2.4

it reports an error with ESMTP, which I just got and installed the most
recent verion of (0.8.11)

 I think the complaint of configure is propably misleading.
the script seems to balk over something else, which follows below :

last output in config.log is

> /usr/lib/libpspell.so: undefined reference to `ostream::flush(void)'
> /usr/lib/libpspell.so: undefined reference to `istream::ios virtual table'
> /usr/lib/libpspell.so: undefined reference to
> `ostream::operator<<(char const *)'
> /usr/lib/libpspell.so: undefined reference to `ostream &
> operator<<<int>(ostream &, smanip<int> const &)'
> /usr/lib/libpspell.so: undefined reference to `ifstream::~ifstream(void)'
> /usr/lib/libpspell.so: undefined reference to `__iomanip_setw(ios &, int)'
> /usr/lib/libpspell.so: undefined reference to
> `fstreambase::fstreambase(int, char const *, int, int)'
> /usr/lib/libpspell.so: undefined reference to `ifstream::ios virtual
> table'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 8981 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
> /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
> /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
>     builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
> char smtp_start_session();
>
> int main() {
> smtp_start_session()
> ; return 0; }

when I run this by hand with what I believe is the command executed
(copied from config.log):

 gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include
-D_REENTRANT
 -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include
-I/usr/X11R6/include
 test.c -lesmtp -lesmtp -lpspell  -L/usr/lib -lgthread -lglib -lpthread
(test.c is my cut-and-paste code as seen in the config.log)

I get the same output about libPspell.so
I guess I am missing another  "-l" entry in the command. ?

But wait, just stripping the -lpspell also does the job.
without this statement it compiles OK.

anybody know what the fix for this might be ??

I am assuming the check executed is just compiling the code, not running
it ?
because running the code gives me a segmentation fault.

Regards and thanks in advance
Ronald van Aalst
running on suse 7.3, i386

PS, very handy, a mailing list support for balsa.
my root problem being, I cannot send mail, because it tries to send it
via localhost, which is not a valid e-mail
address, so the mail gets rejected as spam underway.
Therefore I now try to install the most recent balsa, with esmtp so I
can put the outgoing mail in a remote
mailer (my ISP).