Re: Balsa GUI stalls during mail check

On Mon, 11 February 21:14 Pawel Salek wrote:
> On 2002.02.11 20:40 Bart Visscher wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:52:18 Emmanuel wrote:
>>> I know that Magick has began to work on a library to handle at least local
>>> mailboxes, perhaps more than that I'm not sure now.
>> My first goal is indeed to support local mailboxes, that is difficult
>> enough to start with. Support for remote mailboxes, like imap, should be
>> easy to add later.
>
> Well, it will be easy provided you remember about proper structure. I
> actually think that doing converse might be easier, i.e implementing imap
> first. But it is just an impression.

Imap should certainly be considered since it probably has significant
influence on "proper structure".  A good quality IMAP client is a fairly
complex beast.  Peter Bloomfield and I discussed the idea of implementing one
a la libESMTP a while ago, round about the time we talked about the
ambiguities in RFC 2060.  The idea fizzled out at the time, I think because
Peter managed to work around some issues with the libmutt imap client.

My own feeling is that unless a new IMAP client offered significant
enhancement over the one in libmutt, implementing one is probably wasted
effort.  Unlike SMTP and POP-3 which are orthogonal to MIME and can stand
alone from it, IMAP is intimately bound to MIME.  I suspect that IMAP could
not be added to a mailbox library that did not understand MIME in some way.

Brian Stafford