Re: Bcc not working?

On 2002.02.20 23:20 Thomas Maeder wrote:
> Am 2002.02.20 09:29 schrieb(en) Brian Stafford:
>> Will you *please* get the protocol trace from Balsa as previously
>> instructed.  Configure balsa using "CFLAGS=-DDEBUG=1 ./configure
>> ...", send the message.  balsa will print a protocol trace to
>> stderr.  Post this trace to the list.
>
> As I wrote in another message, Balsa gets totally useless when
> configured and compiled like this (all IMAP folders are reported to
> be empty).

This mode is so rarely used that nobody took time to actually make
libmutt work with DEBUG set. The point was to generate the SMTP session
dump which you succeeded to get.

> Anyway, I started this version and sent a message from it with To:
> and Bcc: both set. This is the output:
> [ SMTP session sending messages with different message-ids: ]

Strangely, I have just done the same exercise and both messages get
same ID:
S: 220 fkant ESMTP Exim 2.12 #2 Wed, 20 Feb 2002 23:53:56 +0100
C: EHLO pi.biotech.kth.se
S: 250-fkant Hello krs-dhcp004.studby.uio.no [129.240.106.34]
250-SIZE 20971520
250-PIPELINING
250 HELP
C: MAIL FROM:<pawsa@theochem.kth.se> SIZE=1024
S: 250 <pawsa@theochem.kth.se> is syntactically correct
C: RCPT TO:<pawsa@theochem.kth.se>
S: 250 <pawsa@theochem.kth.se> is syntactically correct
C: DATA
S: 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
H: Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 23:53:54 +0100
H: From: Pawel Salek <pawsa@theochem.kth.se>
H: To: pawsa@theochem.kth.se
H: Bcc: pawsa@theochem.kth.se
H: Subject: TEST BCC
H: Message-ID: <20020220235354.C7943@pi.uio.no>
H: Mime-Version: 1.0
H: Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset=ISO-8859-1
H: Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
H: X-Mailer: Balsa 1.3.1
H: Content-Length: 5
H: Lines: 1
S: 250 OK id=16dfca-0006Nt-00
C: MAIL FROM:<pawsa@theochem.kth.se> SIZE=1024
S: 250 <pawsa@theochem.kth.se> is syntactically correct
C: RCPT TO:<pawsa@theochem.kth.se>
S: 250 <pawsa@theochem.kth.se> is syntactically correct
C: DATA
S: 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
H: Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 23:53:54 +0100
H: From: Pawel Salek <pawsa@theochem.kth.se>
H: To: pawsa@theochem.kth.se
H: Subject: TEST BCC
H: Message-ID: <20020220235354.C7943@pi.uio.no>
H: Mime-Version: 1.0
H: Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset=ISO-8859-1
H: Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
H: X-Mailer: Balsa 1.3.1
H: Content-Length: 5
H: Lines: 1
S: 250 OK id=16dfca-0006Nt-01
C: QUIT
S: 221 fkant closing connection

>> The protocol trace you supply is not from any protocol session
>> originated by balsa+libESMTP.  Balsa submits both messages in a
>> single smtp session, not two sessions as your trace shows and both
>> messages share the *same* message-id, not two different message ids.
>> So you have gone to a lot of effort to obtain something totally
>> useless.
>
> There are two ids because I sent two messages; please read my message
> again. The first part logs my sending a message with To: but no Bcc:
> header. The second part logs my sending a message with both a To: and
> Bcc: header. As you correctly observed, both parts look exactly the
> same (modulo message id). This is what I am writing about in this
> thread (I think).

I wonder: do you use stock balsa? How did you configure it? I cannot
reproduce your results (i.e different IDs on the message and its BCC).

-pawel

>> Despite your different conclusion, balsa *does* work correctly.
>> Until you provide the protocol trace from balsa that was actually
>> asked for, neither I nor anybody else on this list can or will help
>> you.
>
> Maybe it's me, but actually I'm trying to help you (assuming you're
> among Balsa's developers - if this is the case: thanks!).

PS. Brian is the guy who took care about the SMTP sending code, just to
make it clear..