(no subject)

	Hi all,
here are one or two thoughts I want to share with everybody contributing
to balsa on how we should do the port to gnome-2.0. Please comment,
remark... Be patient for my requests, my costlt dialup connection does not
allow me to be on-line frequently :(

OK here I go (you can IMHO at the beginning of each of the following
sentences ;-)

To optimize our effort I think that we should focus the port effort on
necessary changes (here I mean what is needed to at least compile) first,
then actual improvments (here I think of clist/ctree to TreeModel/TreeView
changes to, hopefully, get rid of eg the as famous as nasty "last line
bug" ;-) ) and , then we should take care of deprecated
functions/objects/whatever. This way we can port balsa quicker, but still
benefiting of the good new features. Indeed deprecated functions objects
are there for that : they will stay to let everybody concentrate on the
important parts of the port process, then later you can take care of them
when the port is fairly OK.
Moreover, for the harder parts (I mean here the more complex objects or
source files) we should perhaps take the time to discuss what they should
become : ie see what is their actual aims (because after several years of
fine tweaking, brute force hacking, things can get a bit obscure to
non-gurus ;-), and then agree on the API needed to achieve these goals.
Here I think, for example, about balsa-index : it is a bit complex and
moreover I think that if we port it, let's make it more flexible to allow
an easy coding of "virtual folder".
Thanks for your attention.
Bye
Manu