Handling spam [was Re: spamoracle]

I have a different approach to all of this, and I'd be interested in
hearing opinions on it.

Rather than asking Balsa (or any email user agent, for that matter) to
do the whole email thing, I would have it confine itself to the user
interface as much as possible.

I have my email set up like this:

<two POP mailboxes> -> fetchmail (download) -> sendmail (distribution)
-> MailSorter -> inbox (and other Balsa mailboxes)

MailSorter looks at each email and sends verything in the whitelist to
Balsa's inbox.  Everything else it queues to MailQueue which uses
SpamAssassin to weed out the spam.  Everything that's not spam goes to
the inbox. Seldom a false negative, one or two false positives each
day. 100-or-so spams to the trash - I see the subjects, but Balsa never
sees them.

MailSorter and MailQueue are Perl scripts.  Not quite trivial, but
small.  They give me the ability to do exactly what I want with each
email, and relieve me from having to deal with Procmail.

My point? Balsa should not be asked to take on new tasks.  If you want
everything in one box, there's always Evolution.

Geoffrey