Re: gmime type warnings on startup

On 12/03/2004 04:12:23 AM, Kacper Wysocki wrote:
Hi guys,

having built balsa from source, I keep getting loads of these warnings on startup:

(balsa:20916): gmime-WARNING **: Invalid or incomplete type: : defaulting to application/octet-stream

This occurs when balsa's opening my inbox, and I'm guessing it has something to do with some messages in my inbox. However, the message itself isn't exactly useful in identifying which ones. Now, I realize it's not strictly a balsa problem, since gmime is what's generating the warnings, but what can I do to get rid of the warnings?

The warning is unconditionally coded into g_mime_content_type_new (), so you cannot suppress it without patching GMime and reinstalling from source. In your case, it seems to result from calling g_mime_content_type_new(type, subtype) with type either NULL or empty, and subtype NULL. I'm guessing that each offending message has a malformed Content-type header--perhaps you could hand-edit them.

Balsa calls that function only with fixed, non-NULL and non-empty strings, so the warnings are not raised directly by the way Balsa uses GMime. Balsa does use g_mime_content_type_new_from_string (), which presumably uses g_mime_content_type_new() internally. Perhaps Balsa could check the string before passing it to GMime-- could you run Balsa with the --g-fatal-warnings command-line option to trigger a stack trace? We might be able to figure out how to handle it.

Peter