Re: From address in compose window

Am 05.10.04 17:06 schrieb(en) Peter Bloomfield:
[snip]
Changing the `From:' address also changes the identity for the message; if we didn't do that, an old signature would be used with the new sender. That also changes other settings, like the defaults for signing and encrypting, which might take the user by surprise.

I don't see any problematic issues with crypto. The default key for signing and encryption to self is derived from the From: address in the message when it is sent, which should of course be correct. In the future, there will be an option to override the automatic key selection by a pre- defined key, but that's easy to do.

The only thing which *might* be confusing is that the pre-set values for the sign, encrypt and protocol buttons/menu items might be changed when selecting a different identity. We could decide to leave them unchanged when the user changes the option menu, but I would prefer if they are adjusted according to the identity.

The drop-down-list could be expanded to two columns, with the address in the first and the identity name in the second. The change of identity would be clearer, but the display would be more cluttered. I'm not sure which would be better.

I would opt for a single option menu with the combined information

identity: full name <mail address provider com>

You could optimise this a little bit by leaving out the "identity: " part if there is only one. We *may* run into problems if all three fields are very long, though, thus expanding the widget. Hmmm...

Comments or suggestions?

My € 0.01, as always...

Cheers, Albrecht.

Albrecht Dreß  -  Johanna-Kirchner-Straße 13  -  D-53123 Bonn (Germany)
      Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht dress arcor de