Re: Solution to the att.net email problem with balsa and ATT.NET mail gateway

On 11/29/2010 02:41:39 PM Mon, William W. Austin wrote:

QUICK SUMMARY OF PROBLEM:

For big $$ reasons had to change isp's and got
AT&T Uverse package - including cheaper and much faster internet and
free att.net email.
Suddenly I couldn't send email using the att email gateway.  Tried lots
of alternatives for almost a month .... AT&T's directions didn't work
at all with Balsa.

EASY SOLUTION:

It turns out that the solution was so simple that I thought I had tried
it (... that I had tried it several times actually, but obviously not).

AT&T specifically says to send ALL outgoing email to port 465 - thus:

	smtp.att.yahoo.com:465

Without patching the code (I tried that and didn't get it quite right),
that won't work at all.

HOWEVER, a much simpler solution exists:

Send outgoing email to port 587 thus:

	smtp.att.yahoo.com:587

It works like a charm.

Of course it may fail at some point since their tech support claims it
can't possibly work, but at least for now my problem has gone away.

I hope this saves someone else a lot of problems,

Good to see that you figured it out--I went through the same thing a while back, but was traveling over the weekend and couldn't post to the list :(

A patch to libesmtp, the library that Balsa uses to submit mail, is needed to allow Balsa to use port 465, which would of course be the best fix.  I'm not sure about the status of that patch...

Best,

Peter