Re: preferred app question [Solved, at least for me]

On 2011.10.01 22:41, Ildar Mulyukov wrote:
On 02.10.2011 02:51:49, Jack Ostroff (CT D8 TC) wrote:
I just received an email, with an attached wmv file. Looking at the message parts, it shows as Windows Media video, which seems good. However, selecting it only offers "Open part with gmplayer" or "Save part."
[...]
Where should I configure this stuff?

This, again, is the MIME staff. And it's configured differently in different distros. Balsa just follows system settings.
Probably asking your distro gurus would yield better results.

Well, I think it's less distro than it is Desktop Environment, although even that could have distro specific quirks.

In my case, KDE on Gentoo, going the the main System Settings, then File Associations, got me what I needed. For some reason, it had gmplayer twice, then the other two apps I got on the context menu. Removing gmplayer and moving my preferred app to the top of the list caused balsa to show me my preferred app to open the attachment.

I suppose it was some distro related quirk that did not remove gmplayer from the list when I uninstalled, years ago.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jack