problem using gpgme-1.8.0

I just recompiled balsa against gpgme 1.8.0, and although I didn't see any build warnings or errors, it fails on launch with "balsa: error while loading shared libraries: libgpgme-pthread.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"  Previously had gpgme 1.7.1.  Reverting to that version, and balsa works fine, even without recompiling.  If gpgme dropped that library with the upgrade, is there some other package which should now provide it, or is it something balsa needs to work around?

Jack