Re: Urgent: Balsa crashes on send / how to debug

Hi Helmut:

Am 08.09.17 15:00 schrieb(en) Helmut Jarausch:
Suddenly, I cannot send emails with Balsa. It crashes all the time with:

Ouch!  That's bad news...

[snip]
Thread 1 "balsa" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007ffff24748a7 in g_main_context_prepare ()
   from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
(gdb) where
#0  0x00007ffff24748a7 in g_main_context_prepare ()
   from /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0

What does gdb say when you enter "bt full"?  We must find the place where Balsa did call glib, probably
feeding bad data downstream…

I'd like to debug Balsa. But how to do this?
There lots of CFLAGS in different Makefiles.
Furthermore Install seems to strip the binaries.
Is there a recipe to prepare Balsa for source debugging?

I *think* debugging is always enabled when you build balsa from git.  You can run 'file src/balsa' in the
top-level Balsa source folder to check whether the binary is stripped (before running 'make install').
Otherwise you could try to force building with debug information by calling

CFLAGS="-g -O2" ./configure <all your configure flags>

I *think* it is not possible to run Balsa from the source folder without a "make install", as some ui files need to be
installed in BALSA_DATA_PREFIX/ui (typically /usr/local/share/balsa/ui, unless you specify a different prefix with configure).
If "make install" strips the debugging symbols from src/balsa, you could try to run

sudo make install
make clean
make

to re-build Balsa with debug symbols after installing the helper files.  Then you could run

gdb src/balsa

from the top-level Balsa folder.

Cheers,
Albrecht.