Re: [BuildStream] bst CLI design and consistency (UI)

Hi Chandan,
On 2018-11-30 19:44, Chandan Singh wrote:
As we have been making some breaking changes to the bst CLI in the 1.4 cycle, various questions have come up. We have been trying to answer them in isolation so far, it has been difficult to do so in the absence of high-level design goals. With this thread, I am hoping we can take a more holistic approach to
designing the CLI in a way that is consistent and intuitive.

I can't usefully comment on the details, but I have two things I'd like to say based on my strange 'helicopter perspective' of buildstream:

1) ISTM that from a user-perspective maintaining forward/backward compatibility of CLI is significantly less important than several other things, for example:
- build/integration integrity
- minimising wasted user time
- cache-key algorithm versioning
- metadata file format versioning and compatibility

IME breakages in format, and/or being surprised by cache reconstruction or huge downloads can be extremely frustrating and can prevent users from upgrading. For CLI, users can always run --help or ask 'man' after all

2) if we are changing/improving CLI, would it make sense to consider overhauling our nomenclature and commands to align them with bazel? We're already working towards alignment of some technologies, and making it easier for bazel users to understand and drive bst (and vice versa) would seem like a clear benefit.

br
Paul