Re: Search applet?

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 00:49 -0400, Tom von Schwerdtner wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Has anyone toyed with a panel applet for Dashboard?  While I like the
> current GUI ideas, I would find it very useful to be able to just query
> the back-ends in a panel applet with a drop-down of results (eg, an
> unmanaged window sort of like the calendar drop-down).  Maybe a prefs
> dialog that let you select which back-ends to query or something along
> those lines for fine tuning.
>
> Its on my "when I have time to hack" TODO list, but I thought someone
> else might have done some hacking already...

Hey Tom,

This is a great idea.  I'd also like to see a panel-embeddable
dashboard, so that we can put it on the right side of the screen inside
a panel.  So there are really two applets that we could write:

        - Search applet.  Something simple in the panel, like a small
        entry widget with a little icon next to it (a magnifying glass!
        genius!).  When you enter a search term, you could have a window
        pop up with the results.  This could even be a slightly
        stripped-down dashboard window, for starters.

        - A dashboard applet, for sidebar panels.  We'd have to bump the
        maximum width of the sidebar (it's currently 120 pixels).

If you have time, I'd be glad to give any pointers.

Best,
Nat