Re: Beagle/Best on Ubuntu - experiences

Hi,

Thanks to all for their quick reponses =).

I think I'll try my hand at compiling Beagle again using the svn versions of gecko/gtk/evolution/debus etc.-sharp.To actually run beagle/best, what packages do I need? (As I said above, I cleared some mono packages, and now beagle runs, but best won't - what packages are required to run, rather than compile?)

I'm still not quite sure about that permissions error. As far as I can tell, my fstab file is set up correctly, as are the permissions on /dev/inotify.

Below are the contents of my fstab file:

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hdc2 / reiserfs defaults,user_xattr 0 1
/dev/hdc5       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdd        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/hda1 /media/hda1 ntfs ro,user,umask=0,dmask=0222,fmask=0333 0 0 /dev/hda3 /media/hda3 ntfs ro,user,umask=0,dmask=0222,fmask=0333 0 0 /dev/hda5 /media/hda5 ntfs ro,user,umask=0,dmask=0222,fmask=0333 0 0 /dev/hda6 /media/hda6 ntfs ro,user,umask=0,dmask=0222,fmask=0333 0 0

As you can see, user_xattr is already enabled. Furthermore, I have already given my user (victorhooi) read access to /dev/inotify. (write access necessary?)

Ed: I compiled my kernel for the athlon architecture, and also took some stuff out that I didn't need (ISA, motherboard workarounds, I2C, IrDa etc.). If you want, I can email/ftp you a copy of the kernel (probly still have it in /usr/src, if not I can compile it again for you).

So, in summary.

1. Resolved - install the latest version of gecko-sharp, correct?
2. Still not quite sure - works as root, not as user, so Daniele may be right that it's a permission error - however, fstab and inotify seem right - ~/.beagle is also right, i believe
3. NTFS partitions - they support EA (from what I can tell), so not sure
4. Do you guys think there should be a note in the Readme/Wiki about the notification icon - or am the only one foolish enough to be fooled by this? =)
5. Central database for all users?
6. Index outside of home?
7. Resolved - Obtain svn versions, correct?
8. Is --out a valid command-line argument for beagle?
9. What is required to *run* beagle / best (as opposed to compiling it) ?

Sorry is this seems buggy, but I just thought I'd summarise the responses I have so far to reduce wasted or redundant effort.

Thanks,
Victor