Alternative dashboard backend loaders

Hi

I am new to this list and to dashboard. So please forgive me if I am not up to
speed.

I have been exploring some ideas for remote backends. I am interested in
trying out some ideas for backends connected over XMPP. From what I can tell
a number of things would be needed for this to work including a way of
and support for adding and removing backends at run time.

I have hacked together some initial support for loading backends from
different sources. The attached code (a patch to engine/dashboard.cs and some
new files) moves the current backend loading code into a new class and adds a
loader of backendloaders. This enables new backendloaders to be added in the
same way that the backends can be added at present. At startup each of the
backendloaders is requested to load its backends. So all the current
functionality is maintained and none of the existing backends need to be
changed.

Adding support for adding and removing backends at runtime looks possible to
me but obviously needs some more thought.

What do people think about this approach?

Richard

--
You can normally find me on Jabber as RichardTaylor jabber org