Re: running beagle on a server over nfs

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 10:26 -0400, D Bera wrote:
> Do you have the file /home/test/old/initrd/sbin/mdrun exported (i.e. in
> client ?) Might be some goof up in exporting but there might be something
> else going on. Also, how does your client beagled command look like ?
> What response do you get when you search for this in server ? Can you paste
> the output from beagle-query (if there are multiple results, paste only
> one) ?

the file is exported since the whole subdirectory is exported. i start
beagled on the server with 'beagled --fg --debug' and on the client with
'beagled --fg --debug --disable-scheduler'.

i do the following test (username crito is the client process, username
test is the server process):
1) crito salsa-10-1-0-19:~$ /usr/local/bin/beagle-query power
email://local local/Sent;uid=12

this query produces only one result on the client side. on the client
beagled gives me the following output:
Debug: Parsed query 'power' as text_query
Debug: Couldn't find path of file with name 'suspend' and parent
'c1EgaVyjq0ugflxfLXk0dw'
Warn: Caught exception calling DoQuery on 'Files'
Warn: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
"/home/test/old/initrd/scripts/local-premount/suspend" is denied.
in <0x000ae> System.IO.File:Exists (System.String path)

2) test salsa-10-1-0-19:~$ /usr/local/bin/beagle-query power
���email://local local/Sent;uid=12
file:///home/test/debconf2-initscripts-bkg.pdf
file:///home/test/old/init.d/halt
file:///home/test/old/init.d/checkfs.sh
file:///home/test/old/init.d/acpi-support
file:///home/test/old/init.d/checkroot.sh

this query produces around 50 hits on the server and the server beagled
gives the following output:
Debug: Parsed query 'power' as text_query
Debug: Couldn't find path of file with name 'suspend' and parent
'c1EgaVyjq0ugflxfLXk0dw'

3) test salsa-10-1-0-19:~$ echo "power attack" >> beagle_rocks
test salsa-10-1-0-19:~$ /usr/local/bin/beagle-query power
���email://local local/Sent;uid=12
file:///home/test/beagle_rocks

this query immediatly finds on the server the just created file. the
server beagled process gives me the same output as above. but on the
client i don't find anything.

with some tests it worked to restart the beagle-daemon and then i could
find the file on the client side but with the power example it doesn't
make a difference. but then i have a problem with the running
beagle-search gui, because it doesn't like the restart. i have to close
it and start it again. yabi, nautilus and deskbar come along with the
restart of the daemon. that would be a solution that i can live with to
restart the beagle-daemon on the client regularly but still its not
guaranteed to get proper results as seen with the example from above.

> I am not sure about smb - does it implement fcntl() based file locking ?

no this is not working. but i can index the shares locally on the
fileserver and export the indexes over nfs (same principal). is it
possible to tell the beagle-daemon on the client side to read more than
one index? otherwise i would try to run a beagle-daemon on the server on
a per user base and see how the performance is (probably an overkill).

> About the environment variables, I think some of them are mentioned somewhere
> in Wiki (beaglewiki.org). If not, someone who knows what they are should add
> them :)

please.

greetinx
christo buschek