Re: Beagle and Gaim Logs

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 12:23 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> We could possibly add
> a parallel method for more esoteric logging, but my primary concern is
> the 98th percentile of users out there, who will never use anything but
> the standard logs.

Of course. I was just seeing what thoughts you had. At the moment, it's
really academic curiosity anyway... at least until I get the log reader
plugin in a releasable state.

> > 5. This one isn't directly related to logs, but... Right now, if I
> > search for someone's name, I see a "Contact". If I double-click it,
> > nothing happens. Has anyone looked at using gaim-remote in Gaim 1.x
> > and/or the DBUS stuff in Gaim 2.0.0 to start a new conversation with
> > that user?
>
> The contacts you are seeing are from the Evolution addressbook, not
> Gaim's.  I have some code that has been languishing in my local tree to
> do additional lookups for Evolution contacts based on IM accounts, and
> vice versa.  That way you can send IMs when you get an Evo contact and
> send emails when you get an IM conversation back.  The next step from
> there is to additionally search IM conversations based on the info in
> the contact, but that is part of a larger metadata chaining project that
> needs to be developed.

Hmm. I thought they might be coming from Gaim as they had buddy icons.
This is probably related to the Gaim/Evolution integration stuff I had
turned on for a while.

> As for starting a conversation, I believe this already works, but only
> for AIM accounts.  Other accounts require the newer gaim-remote.  I
> believe that the newer gaim-remote isn't backward compatible with the
> old one, so we can't solve the issue for both.  I might be wrong about
> that, but if it's true, I wouldn't want to switch until Gaim 2.0 is more
> widely deployed.

In 2.0.0, it's called gaim-remote.py vs. gaim-remote in 1.0.0. You could
use gaim-remote.py if it's found, falling back to gaim-remote otherwise.
Alternatively, you could use the DBUS stuff directly, falling back to
gaim-remote if it exists.

> > 6. Searching from Gaim
> >
> > Gaim currently has its own searching of logs, and it sucks majorly. I'd
> > love to integrate the Beagle search functionality...

> You can essentially do what Nautilus and Yelp have done, which is to use
> our libbeagle C API to do specific searches, and fall back to a slower,
> less rich internal search if it isn't available.

I'll look into this. Like everyone else, I'm short on time so it'll be a
while, but thanks. This gives me somewhere to start!

Richard