Dangling lock svn changes (Was: Re: Strange beagle behavior (dangling index lock))

Hi,

 I'm using the latest svn version of Beagle. Yesterday, after unclean gnome
shutdown (ctrl alt backspace) beagle started acting really strange. The

That most probably left the index in a locked and inconsistent set. A
stale lockfile is a sign of that.

deamon takes 100% cpu, while beagle-index-info shows not only nothing is
being indexed at the moment, but furthermore that only some of the

Previously, whenever we found a dangling lockfile, we purged the whole
index and started indexing from beginning. A few commits in the last
few days added some checks before that to verify that the index is
indeed corrupted before purging it. Checking index corruption takes a
lot of cpu power and causes hard-disk thrashing but should not last
more than a minute. Unfortunately that is the best we can do short of
deleting the whole index. Also, under normal circumstances, there is
no possibility of dangling lock files.

(Lucene experts, there is no documented way of verifying lucene index
integrity; what we do is enumerate all terms and all of their
positions. If there is a better way of doing this, please let us
know.)

backends work (take a peek below). I tried upgrading to newer svn version,
reinstalling but no luck. I cannot shut the deamon down with
beagle-shutdown I have to kill it. Maybe I need to delete the indexes?

I need to see the log file. In general, if you do a
$ tail -f ~/.beagle/Log/current-Beagle

and from another terminal, do a beagle-shutdown, what appears in the
'tail' window ?

 pielgrzym abulafia~# beagle-index-info
 Index information:
 Name: EvolutionMail
 Count: 5622
 Crawling: False

 Name: EvolutionDataServer
 Count: 0
 Crawling: False

 Name: Thunderbird
 Count: 0
 Crawling: False

 Name: KMail
 Count: 8119
 Crawling: False

Thats strange. Did you disable the other backends via
beagle-setting/beagle-config ? Also, thunderbird backend is disabled
in svn. Its out automake problem that it is not automatically deleted,
please manually delete /usr/lib/beagle/Backends/ThunderBird*.dll if
you are not using the backend.

 http://post-kultura.nazwa.pl/current-Beagle
 http://post-kultura.nazwa.pl/current-IndexHelper

Can you link to the complete log files ? The above are pretty short
(and duplicate). Also, can you attach (or email me) the complete log
directory (or the most recent 10 log files).

 The log shows "a dangling index lock" - does this mean the index is
damaged and is being repaired by beagled? Or is it some kind of other
error?

Explained above.

KMail (and now I use Evolution), is it ok, that I put in session a parameter for
beagle to disable Kmail backend (it solves my problem, but isn't it
dangerous in some way?).

What do you mean by "put in session a parameter for beagle to disable
Kmail backend" and how does it solve your problem ?
Nevertheless, if you do not need a backend, it is always good to
disable it. Use beagle-config (command line) to disable the kmail
backend (don't remember if beagle-settings has this ability yet).

- dBera

beagle / KDE fan
Mandriva / Inspiron-1100 user