Re: regression testing

Hi,

On 4/27/07, Alex Mac <lots of mailing lists gmail com> wrote:
I'm sure someone has mentioned this before but it seems that a good
way of preventing all the bugs that people complain about (broken
filters, not all content indexed) might be caught more quickly if
beagle had a repository of various files that indexing can be tested
on every night.

We also have a repo which is stored in Novell Forge, which I run every
now and then but mostly when I'm gearing up to do a release.  It was
originally put in Novell Forge because it was SVN and maintaining it
in GNOME CVS would cause major pain for people who were interested
only in the code.  A lot of those test files were making sure we
extracted the right info, got all the metadata, etc.  They weren't
really there to test "broken" files so much.  At some point I'll look
into moving that stuff over into our current SVN.

A big problem I had when I was fixing and dealing with a lot of the MS
Word crashers and misbehaving documents is that they contained private
information and I couldn't add them to a regression suite.  Since the
files were badly formed for whatever reason (or the parsers were
broken), we couldn't recreate the situation in another file.

Joe