Re: Status of Dashboard

Hey,

On 7/2/07, Kevin Godby <godbyk gmail com> wrote:
As for the TODO, what changes/additions/modifications would you make?

I guess the only one of the three is libdashboard.

Adding a library dependency is overkill for this problem.  The reason
why we were able to crank out so many frontends (ie, application
plugins) for the original dashboard was because all we had to do was
#include a C file and run a single function.  No additional
compile-time dependencies, no hassle.

The new dashboard has both a D-Bus interface and a file system
interface which allows you to drop files with clues in them into a
well-known directory.  So even a .cP file probably isn't necessary.

I'll willing to try and pick up the project.  I'm open to suggestions
for direction.  I'm currently reading a bunch of research papers that
seem relevant and trying to devise some vision/roadmap for the
project.

I'd really suggest going back and reading the original site here:

  http://nat.org/dashboard

including the blog and screenshots to get a feel for what we were
trying to do.  The hardest problem in there is probably finding a user
interface that is useful and unintrusive.  Relevancy of the tiles
presented is also going to be pretty darn tricky.

Also, can you set up svn write access for Andrew and I?  I'm not sure
what the procedure is--Google just directed me to a page that said I
needed to contact a project owner to become a member.  (My Google
username is godbyk.)

Sure, I'll try!

Joe