build system (was Re: gitignore foo)

Hi,

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Arun Raghavan <arunissatan gmail com> wrote:
> I don't really see any major disadvantage to either approach. A very
> minor plus for the git.mk is that you don't need to update .gitignore
> even those few rare times that you might otherwise have to (since
> it'll just "introspect" it from the build system).

Speaking of the build system, I've been working off and on into trying
to better organize our source code, with the eventual hope that we'd
be able to use MonoDevelop with the tree.  I would also like to
convert the backends and filters to use Mono.Addins and stop
maintaining our own plugin system.

The git branch can be found here:

    http://github.com/joeshaw/beagle/tree/build-cleanup

It's only semi-working at the moment.  It builds most of the code up
through the daemon, index helper and backends, but it doesn't load any
of the backends yet, doesn't load the index helper (because the
wrapper scripts aren't ready), and generally doesn't work. :)  Filters
and clients aren't built at all yet.

The organization of the tree might be too broad now, but I'm trying to
feel my way around at the moment.  If anyone wants to take a peek and
give feedback (or pick up the next task!) I'm all for it.  The build
system is largely stolen from Banshee's.

Joe