Re: Question about html widget.

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 09:19:27PM +0100, Raphael Bosshard wrote:
> I don't know if gecko is really faster than khtml, but that doesn't
> matter anyway. Both, gecko and khtml would make a fine replacement for
> gtkhtml/gtkhtml2. I don't see any sense in developing/maintaining yet
> another html renderer, wasted effort IMO.
>
> I'd like to have a stable and complete html widget in gnome/gtk in a
> forseeable future, rather than have to wait until the gtkhtml/gtkhtml2
> situation is resolved.

I don't think there's really a situation; I mean:

 - clearly the only really viable engines for *web browsing*
   (vs. limited lightweight use) are khtml and gecko.
   gecko is being split out into a library that will be more
   usable, khtml could be gtk-ported.

 - neither is viable for Evolution composer, because they don't have
   editing. so we're stuck with gtkhtml for forseeable future
   in at least this dedicated role.

 - nobody really cares about gtkhtml2 (the one in yelp) for the long
   term, it's just a matter of which of the others to switch to

So the situation is pretty clear, Evolution will continue as-is,
gtkhtml2 will go away, and either gecko or khtml or both will be the
web-ready engines. The help browser will use whichever of the three
widgets is most convenient.

Havoc