Re: Module proposal for gnome 2.5

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 20:05, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Jean-Michel Ardantz wrote:
>
> > - Totem assuming that we will have a gstreamer version providing full
> > video and dvd facilities (including interactivity support).
>
> Agreed completely. The same goes for gossip (IM client).

Please no. Gossip is not a IM solution. It's too hung up on only
supporting Jabber and not MSN, AIM, ICQ, which is what people _actually_
need. Gnome is trying to be a complete desktop and that means (a) As
much stuff that is on everyones desktop as possible and (b) No useless
crap.

Gossip is useless to many/most people (the end users not devs) because
it doesnt support their favourite client. I know jabber may be better
but I for example dont use it cos no one I know uses it. And look at the
precedent set for proprietary or non-standard support:

- Epiphany supports closed-source/proprietary plugins
- Stock-ticker parses a website for its data
- The GIMP reads and writes GIF and JPEG
- Totem plays Windows Media, DVDs, etc, loads of proprietary stuff.

Unless we are on an anti-proprietary crusade as a matter of policy (as
in deliberately not supporting it) then we shouldnt start it with this
IM client.

Also, gaim now has addressed most of the reasond for which gossip was
started.

Regards,

Dom.

--