Re: Some more thoughts on Java vs Mono debate

Hello,

> > Agreed. But don't you think it is a huge loss if we can't use many of
> > useful 3rd party libraries or tools built around Java or .NET for
> > compatibility reasons?
>
> Definitely. Its equivalent to being able to program in C but not having
> 75% of the standard C library available. Anyone who had the misfortune
> to write C code on VMS can probably relate to exactly what it was like.

btw, our independent stack, built on top of ECMA contains:

	OpenGL bindings.
	Mozilla bindings.
	Evolution data store bindings.
	Gtk bindings (gtk, gdk, atk, glade)
	Gnome bindings (gnome, canvas, vte)
	XML-RPC bindings.
	iFolder
	Simias.
	LDAP access (Novell.LDAP)
	CORBA stack (sadly, it does not use ORBit)
	Cairo bindings.
	Lucene.NET search engine.
	Mono.Security: our underlying implementation for all things crypto (SSL/TLS implementation included).
	ECLA CLI image manipulation library.

Depending on 4 interfaces from System.Data:

	MySQL, Postgress, DB2, Oracle, Sybase, Sql Server, Sqllite

So not the end of the world really if we cant write ASP.NET server
applications for the desktop, or if we cant use Windows.Forms.

Miguel.