Re: Not OK computer:/// [was Re: Should Desktop = Home?]

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 22:48 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
this message talks of the joys of having ~/Desktop
which i encourage you to read

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-May/msg00674.html
and a followup message reacts "Please God No" in response to
start-here:///
which was my reaction to seeing
computer:///

Why do people keep creating new protocols?

It breaks things.  file:/// is a perfectly good protocol, computer:/// is
compatible only with Nautilus (and disturbingly like the c:/ drive from
Microsoft, I'm not just being anti-Microsoft it really is a bad idea).

Perhaps another alternative would be to only invent one fake protocol, eg:

gnome:///start-here/
gnome:///computer/

and so on. (or the more generic "desktop:///start-here/"..., but 'gnome' is the same in every language)

I realize it is by no means the perfect solution, but at least we won't have all sorts of invented 'fake' protocols laying around.

snip...
I figure it could have been implemented as ~/Computer/ and have the drives
and shortcuts mounted there which doesn't mess as much with the
traditional "everything is a file" and I think it is kind of appropriate
that your Computer would be inside your Home.

I think this starts out sounding pretty good until you hear the counter arguments that some people have already posted to the list :)

Regards,
Tom

Tom von Schwerdtner
Etria, LLP - www.etria.com