Re: the future of GNOME Applets

On Maw, 2004-09-21 at 14:12, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> CD Player
> 	Haven't looked at this, suspect it will want integration
> 	with Sound Juicer. It's possible that this should instead
> 	be replaced by some applet that links with a media player
> 	(when we include a media player in GNOME). Keep, for now.

Also needs switching to audio ripping so it works on any PC post 2002/3
or so...

> CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor
> 	We need to add one of these. There are a number of options here
> 	personally, I want to get one that uses HAL, however HAL doesn't
> 	currently have Processor devices either.

You want more than monitor - a lot of the systems can set policies so
you want policy selector. These tend to include "performance", "maximum
battery life" and the like. Sometimes you need to switch at runtime (eg
when playing bzflag) to avoid the CPU speed change messing with your
game.

> Fish
> 	Keep

Isn't it about time the fish was replaced with a Gegl

> Inbox Monitor
> 	People use this (I think). Personally I think it should be
> 	turned off by default when it can be replaced by an Evolution
> 	notification icon. Keep for now.

Evolution isn't the only Gnome mail application. Now it could be there
should be a freedesktop  "You have mail" interface ?

> Modem Lights
> 	I'm sure this could be replaced by Network Monitor in the
> 	future. What do people think should happen with this one?

Different functionality in part