Re: How many use the diagram tree?

On 11 Aug 2003, ashalper cox net wrote:
From: Lars Clausen <lrclause cs uiuc edu>
Date: 2003/08/11 Mon AM 11:35:33 EDT

Nice rant:) I've toyed with the nothing of altering the handle system to
at least allow a 'drop line into object' style.  It would indeed be nice
if you could attach anywhere.  The only reason I see for the handles is
to have a way to attach 'prettily', i.e. exactly in the middle or
exactly at the corner.  What's ERwin do there?

It's not possible to detach the relationship lines from their entity
boxes once the relationship is created.  Relationships are created by
depressing the appropriate tool, then clicking on the parent entity, then
the child entity in sequence.  Once the relationship line is created,
drag is allowed anywhere on the line (there are no handles on the line),
but the line always remains attached to its respective entity(s) until
it's deleted, or the parent/child entity is deleted.

I find it alternately useful/annoying depending on what I'm trying to do.

Not being able to change it would certainly be annoying in a Dia context; I
guess ERwin doesn't think of connections as first-class citizens, but
merely an indication that the two entities are related.  Not a behaviour I
think we want to copy.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HÃrdgrim of Numenor