Re: Prerelease of 0.94 is out

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 00:40, Alan Horkan wrote:
Dia had a document menubar long before other programs did, [...]

Didn't know this. :) Just tried it. But don't understand why the context
version of the menu is disabled when the menu bar is activated.

Dia also has a "middle click" context menu which really sucks if you have
only two buttons on your mouse.  The middle click context menu is
accessible by right clicking when the menubar is enable.

In the long run just about everything should be accessible without needing
to resort to a context menu (I might even go so far as to want to make Dia
usable without a mouse/pointing device but that would probably be a bit
much).  For the moment it is unfortunately necessary.

I'd rather say that the context menus should be accessible to non-mouse
users.

Ctrl+F10 I think is supposed to provide access from the keyboard, I really
should learn more about the Accessiblity toolkit (ATK) and do some
testing.

In case you haven't noticed, context menus have become more an
more common, as they really put the info in, well, context.  I'd like to
see more, such as more context help.

The 'right-click' menu as the Gimp and Dia by default provides is not a
'context menu' as it does not do anything context specific.  The middle
click menu can be useful (althought middle clicking using a wheel mouse is
awkward)  and is more like a real context menu.  The Macintosh is very
careful to make sure it is possible to do things without ever needing to
use a context menu but it has recently started putting things in context
menus to allow things to be done with far less clicks so that it acts as a
bonus for experienced users without hiding things completely.  (Even if
you have a single button mouse on a Mac you can get at all the context
menus by ctrl+clicking).

Sodipodi had an interesting combination of the both using part of the menu
for contextual items and the rest for all the standard menu items.  I did
not use it long enough to be able to decide if it was a good idea.

The case in point for me would be Flip Horizontal and Flip Vertical which
although useful in context I believe should also be in the Object menu.
(They were not included there because they only work for shapes but not
programmed objects but I still believe they should be there and it might
even serve as an incentive for someone to make the programmed objects
flippable).

The only other context menu item I can remember wanting to use was adding
nodes to polygons/beziergons or lines.  That could be fixed by allow more
of these kinds of options to be set as default properties of the
drawing tool or perhaps having a seperate 'node edit' tool like Inkscape
has (or maybe just allowing ctrl+click to add nodes).

- Alan