Re: Dia - a rotate command?

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 16:00 -0500, D. Guido wrote:
Hi Dia Developers,

My name is Guido and I work for a short line railroad in Fort Worth,
Texas, USA.  I recently found Dia because I was in search of
diagramming software for use in my engineering role.  I began using
Dia and find it to be extraordinarily user-friendly with a clean
interface and clean operation.  I would, however, like to know if Dia
has a rotate command.  And if not I would like to know if Dia would
consider developing a rotate command.  Specifically Iâd like to be
able to rotate raster images as well as text elements.  Let me briefly
explain why.

I'm afraid there's no rotate capability in Dia yet.  While many have
requested, including me, it is no trivial task due to having to handle
handles, connection points, rotation of groups and autorouting, and
having to add rotation to the exporters.

My project involves making a schematic representation of our railroad
tracks.  The process starts with someone hand-sketching an area of the
railroad.  I can scan these into .tif or another graphics file format.
Then I used the Dia image tool to bring them into a Dia sketch.  I can
then draw âon topâ of the image to match the hand-sketch.  Iâd further
like to ROTATE the image and add text and ROTATE the text to orient to
the drawing elements be they curve or line.

An interesting application, but I cannot help but wonder if it wouldn't
be faster with one of the bitmap-to-vector converters available?

See attached.  This shows a scanned-in hand sketch and the Dia drawing
elements Iâve created.  You can see where it would be useful to add
text to lines and curves.  It would also have been useful to rotate
the image after importing it.

Here we see another shortcoming of Dia:  It cannot embed images.

Iâd love to hear your input on these interests of mine.  I GREATLY
appreciate your efforts on this project and if I implement Dia for
this project I will do my best to support the project monetarily or
otherwise.

Unless somebody can pay me some money to take time off work to do this,
I don't foresee me doing it any time soon, and I haven't heard anybody
else making serious noises about working on it.  Sorry.

-Lars