Re: Performance of Dia

Hi Steffen,

I think Nalini is being asked to do research by someone else - we had a short back channel exchange from which I infer this.  She may not be interested in or able to make time for personal investigation of Dia.  Beyond that I will let her speak for herself.

But I think you are correct, someone where she is working needs to look at Dia.

To Nalini,

I am not certain how answer regarding performance, due to not understanding your definition of it.

Dia is scalable in that you can continue adding graphical elements to it and it does not fail - as far as I have ever been able to tell.  I do not have a good idea how large others have let the Dia grow.  I not sure I know what 1000s means.

If 1000s means thousands, then I suspect you can have multiple thousands of entities according to the performance of the computer hardware; but, I have not counted entities, so I am guessing. Steffen's suggestion makes sense (as they always do).

As a practical matter, I have had to introduce layering of the graphics to manage larger Dia.  I have pasted large Dia in to large Dia and did not notice any difficulty, outside of difficulties when the Dia is much large than a monitor screen.  I have always been able to make a segmented print job, but I tend to create several page sized Dia rather than segment.  The tabbed working environment makes this easy to manage.

Mike