Re: Adding comments to an object

Greetings, Ken Springer!

I want to make a chart of historical information, and would like to
annotate the chart entry with additional information.
I doubt you want to supply Dia along with your chart...
Either you picked a wrong tool for the job, or you should rethink your
expectations and adapt to the desired result with the tool on hand in mind.
I agree with Andrey, you are probably using the wrong tool for the job:
I suppose what you need is Inkscape, a vector graphics program: you can
slice the svg and make a web page out of it, or animate the SVG directly
(Inkscape doesn't support that directly). A bit of Javascript would do
what you need.
Also, consider Synfig as a tool for animations.

Dima.

I do not know why, but I never received Andrey's reply.  If there's more
to the response, I do not have it.

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/dia-list/2014-April/msg00010.html

Replying to Dima's message in reverse order, Synfig is definitely not
the tool I need.  That is not the type of "animation" I'm looking for.

You're contradicting to yourself.

I'm creating an organizational chart structure of information.  If I
choose to, I want to be able to click on an object, in this case a
rectangle, and have another box, or window, open somewhere that gives me
additional information about the data in the rectangle.

This is precisely what is called "animation", or "automation", if you wish.

The information the box/window will be the same type of information you
would get from a footnote, endnote, or bibliography.
It will simply tell me where I got the information from.

Yet again, you expect much from a generic tool.
You can probably do what you want with a bit of Python scripting, but there's
no readily available tools in Dia to do this, that I'm aware of.

--
WBR,
Andrey Repin (anrdaemon freemail ru) 21.04.2014, <22:22>

Sorry for my terrible english...