Re: [Easytag-mailing] Easytag's UTF8

Taglib is pretty radically different from id3lib. It also doesn't
support writing anything but id3v2.4 tags, which are not compatible
with some programs (such as anything based on id3lib). I've also
experienced some tag corruption issues with Taglib (and have filed
bugs on them), especially APE tags and ID3v1 tags.

On the other hand, id3lib is seriously outdated and doesn't appear to
be maintained anymore. And the API is just awful. There's a couple of
critical bugs in the 3.8.3 code that haven't been officially added yet
(fortunately there are patches on the SF page, but most packagers
don't include them, sadly).

Note that I'm not involved in easytag development -- I've just been
playing with both libs in the past few weeks to write my own trivial
utilities. But I wouldn't expect a switch to Taglib anytime soon --
it's a major undertaking, and unless you retain the ability to right
v2.3 tags somehow then a lot of other programs will "break".