[Ekiga-list] Ekiga 2.0.3 interface binding

Craig Southeren craigs at postincrement.com
Wed Oct 4 00:30:32 UTC 2006

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:17:15 +0200
Konrad Karl <kk_konrad at gmx.at> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ekiga does not recognize new network interfaces, e.g.
> TUN adapters from OpenVPN so I have to shutdown and
> restart whenever I want to make a call thru the VPN.
> (did not check with 2.0.2 because I now have a working
> 2.0.3 on current Fedora Rawhide)
>
> Should not there be also an option to bind to
> all network interfaces?

..deleted

It's not that simple.

Implementation of SIP requires that you know the address of each
specific network interface being used. Binding to INADDR_ANY doesn't
work.

So, Ekiga (actually, the underlying library called OPAL which I am
involved with) needs to know when network interfaces come up or go down.
On Linux this would be done via the same mechanism used by the hotplug
daemon, which is the netlink interface.

We have plans to look at this problem once the current codec plugins are
finalised and released.

   Craig

 Craig Southeren          Post Increment – VoIP Consulting and Software
 craigs at postincrement.com.au                   www.postincrement.com.au

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243656905      MSN: craig_southeren at hotmail.com
 Mobile: +61 417231046      Jabber: craigs at jabber.org

 "It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile.
  Be yourself, no matter what they say."   Sting