Re: [Ekiga-list] Difficulties getting started with Ekiga

On 19/01/12 19:48, Ken Resander wrote:
Hi Eugen,

Many thanks for your speedy reply....

I tried once more today Thursday 19 Jan 2012 and found:

Echo mode test works with Ekiga on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (the desktop),
Ekiga on Ubuntu 10.04.03 LTS (the netbook) and on Windows XP
(dual-booted on desktop).

DESKTOP AND NETBOOK BOTH USING UBUNTU

Video and sound works on both computers when double-clicking
Neighbour's friendly name to start a call.

Video does not work when entering sip-address to start call.
Sometimes both computers display local video and sometimes it half
works with one computer showing remote video and local video inset
picture-in-picture and the other showing just the local video. When
local video is shown the Local Video radio button is selected in the
view menu. When remote video and inset local video show then the
Picture-in-picture radio button is selected, but I have also seen
local video showing in main and inset pictures when
Picture-in-picture radio button is set.

WINDOWS XP ON DESKTOP AND NETBOOK USING UBUNTU

There is no Neighbour to click. Entering sip-address behaves
incorrectly as described above. Additionally the local video always
freezes on the Windows PC and then it never shows as remote on the
netbook when the latter is in Picture-in-picture display mode. I have
only one computer with Windows so cannot test windows to windows.

Q1.   could this be a GUI programming error? or is it more likely to
be a symptom of something else going wrong?

You need to send us the -d 4 output on the windows machine when the video freezes.

I noticed the Local Video radio button is selected in the View menu
when Ekiga starts. The other radio buttons are greyed/inactive, but
when a call has been established sometimes the Picture-in-picture
radio button comes up selected.

Q2.  what are the rules for this? How can the user select and control
the picture display mode?

The rule is very simple: PIP is disabled when there is no communication. If during comm it remains disabled, then the remote video is not available and this is a bug (except when the other party is in your LAN and you do not use Neighbours, as shown above).

I am using the LTS version Ubuntu 10.04.03 and Ubuntu 10.04 which
provide Ekiga 3.2.6. Ubuntu 11.04 provides Ekiga 3.2.7 in the Ubuntu
Software Centre.

Q3.  can you make Ekiga 3.2.7 available in the Software Centre for
Ubuntu LTS too?

Ubuntu is managed by a specific team. If you need ekiga 3.2.7, contact them by reporting a bug report to them.

--
Eugen