app idea generation..

You know, one most idiotic things about F/OSS desktops is that the app eco-system really sucks.  We have a constant set of the same apps being recreated with endless variations.  The reason is that the people writing these apps are "scratching their itch" so to speak, and what itches them is generally centered around software development or recreate some popular communications related app.

One of the greatest thing about this team is its diversity.  Different age groups, genders, and skill sets.  We could show what a diversified team can do for something like GNOME.  What that means is that we can think about what kind of apps would excite us.  Whether they are kid oriented, family oriented, singles, whatever.  We all have something that we wish we could use.  Let' take for example something I am passionate about - cooking.  I love to create food, especially new kinds of foods based on what I read on the internet.  How many food recipe apps are out there that look good, designed well, and has the kind of features for the Internet age?  Probably none.

What I propose is that we start brainstorming these apps. Come up with ideas, and then reach out to people to design them.  Design the apps, and publish the design.  Then we put out a call for developers to implement them with a set of mentors in GNOME who can help make those apps, and work with designers.

I would like to work on something like this at LAS GNOME conference.  We aren't going to invigorate the market without leading.  Let's lead.  We have the technology, now we need to bring the creativity and build momentum.

sri