Re: [Evolution-hackers] Bug 40699: LDAP Compatibility Issue

If evolution used the same attributes (or at least similar)
for the postal address as other address book/contacts clients,
there would be no need for such a an option.  If I were to
assume that evolution wanted to add support for the more
common address book/contact LDAP attributes (streetAddress,
l, st, and postalCode) and at the same time maintain backwards
compatibility with the use of homoePostalAddress, then there
would only be two options.  Either have evolution use both
sets of attributes for the same information or provide an option
for the user to choose which they would rather use.

Obviously, the first option wastes space in the directory,
adds un-necessary overhead to the directory (LDAP) server, and
most importantly pro-longs the end-user experience for searches
and updates.

The second option mitigates all of the issues of the first and
enables users of a common directory infrastructure to access
a the same postal information through all address book/contact
clients including evolution.

Brad