Re: [Evolution-hackers] Introduction and Questions

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 14:10 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 07:58 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > Hi.  I've been getting into the code of evolution recently, and am thinking of
> > doing a bit more to see if I can get it working OK for my situation.  I have
> > an IMAP mailbox which is very large, both in terms of folders (over 100) and
> > messages (the largest folder has >300,000 messages; my INBOX has about
> > 22,000).
>
> the largest INBOX I've ever used was about ~100,000 messages, so you may
> get to have some fun :)

Without CONDSTORE support, Evolution needs ridiculous amounts of both
time and bandwidth to synchronise such a folder's flags. When online,
this happens each time you click on a folder in Evolution.

Without immediately writing to disk work, the download by itself will
consume around 120 MB of RAM, and will most likely fail due to network
timeouts and other such problems (it'll take a while, since Evolution
fetches a ridiculous large amount of headers for each message for
building its summary).

--
Philip Van Hoof, software developer
home: me at pvanhoof dot be