Re: [Evolution-hackers] Problems with calendar notification under unity (eds >= 3.30)

On Wed, 2018-12-19 at 13:21 +0500, Khurshid Alam wrote:
Hi Milan,

        Hi,
I hope you know you address a mailing list with many subscribed users.
It's fine by me (better than private email), but not everyone here is
named 'Milan'. :)

In unity we also set notify-with-tray to false, so both dialog is
appearing at the same time. For the time being I set notify-with-tray
to true.

Once GNOME Shell's #155 is closed/fixed, you won't use that. It had
been expected (by me) to be in 3.30, but it didn't happen.

Will it be possible to check notification server capabilities before
adding an action ?

There's used GNotification and after a brief look I do not see any glib
API which would allow to verify whether the notifications can have
actions or not. That might be a call to them, to add such API, then
evolution-data-server (eds) can use it. The eds doesn't use libnotify
directly intentionally (it has less dependencies, especially when the
same/similar API is provided by glib).

But now since it is in eds I think it's better that we drop
notification related code fr om indicator-datettime. There is no
point replicating entire EReminderWatcher code into into it.

I'm afraid it's not a question for me. You can disable evolution-alarm-
notify autostart in its .desktop file for Unity and have things working
as before, regardless whether users have installed also Evolution or
not. At least for the time being, until that GNOME Shell's #155 is
done.

For 2) I have a prototype code, it can be patched in eds or we can do
it from indicator-datetime or patch downstream.

What would you exactly change on the eds side?

3) Is there bus signal we can watch when a notification-tray appears
? I am watching "notify" signal from  ca.desrt.dconf.Writer and
checking 'reminder-past' in 'org.gnome.evolution-data-
server.calendar', but that's not very productive.

I think the GNotification works on D-Bus, thus look there. Whether
you'd be able to distinguish between notifications sent by evolution-
alarm-notify and other notifications I do not know. Alarm notify itself
doesn't send any special D-Bus signals. Again, all your work and time
spent on this is only due to GNOME Shell's #155 not being fixed yet
(well, as long as Unity derives from GNOME Shell).

I think, if you've everything already implemented in Unity, then the
easiest would be to just disable evolution-alarm-notify in Unity and
avoid all the trouble pretty easily.

Hope it helps.
        Bye,
        Milan