Re: [Evolution-hackers] Checking application of extensions and plugins for a software test installation

to be honest, I did not notice any "program start parameters" you are
mentioning now, to be in the original post of this thread.

See also:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-hackers/2020-November/msg00000.html

Repetition:
elfring@Sonne:~/Projekte/Bau/Evolution/3.36.5/Probe> LANG=C
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/elfring/Projekte/Bau/Evolution/3.36.5/Probe/home/elfring/Projekte/Bau/Evolution/3.36.5/Probe/lib/evolution:/home/elfring/Projekte/Bau/Evolution/3.36.5/Probe/home/elfring/Projekte/Bau/Evolution/3.36.5/Probe/lib/evolution/plugins:/home/elfring/Projekte/Bau/Evolution/3.36.5/Probe/home/elfring/Projekte/Bau/Evolution/3.36.5/Probe/lib/evolution/modules
 home/elfring/Projekte/Bau/Evolution/3.36.5/Probe/bin/evolution

By the way:
I installed the software package “libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37” (2.30.2-1.1) yesterday afternoon.
Now I stumble also on the following error message.

home/elfring/Projekte/Bau/Evolution/3.36.5/Probe/bin/evolution: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib64/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37: undefined symbol: wpe_fdo_initialize_shm

More importantly, you did not tell us *how* you build the Evolution.
You use CMake, of course, but that's far from the answer for the *how*.

I wonder about such an information.

Another repetition:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/1199

elfring@Sonne:~/Projekte/Gnome/Evolution/lokal> git checkout 3.36.5 && cmake -G Ninja -S . -B
~/Projekte/Bau/Evolution/3.36.5

Anyway, the Edit->Plugin Manager is added as an evolution-plugin-manager.so module.

Thanks for such background information.

                                    Maybe Evolution claims runtime
warnings on the console,

Some were displayed.

                         or it doesn't load any module (if that's
true - you didn't tell us - then you may see an empty Evolution window.

The application window was usable for a simple test run on my system.

I mean really empty, no Mail, no Contacts, no Calendar, ... just a gray

I did not observe such an effect.

Why is that so is the question. It can be that your CMAKE_INSTALL_DIR
doesn't match the place you install the files to (due to the DESTDIR usage?).

I find it unlikely that this detail matters here actually.

Do fix that and the things will work. From my point of view,
you misunderstand and misuse the DESTDIR variable. But I can be wrong,
in either or both statements.

I wonder about such feedback.

                              Again, anybody else using the DESTDIR
uses it successfully,

I got the impression that this variable is usually working also for me
as expected.

                      only you have problem with it.

* I can stumble on additional software surprises.

* Other developers can not benefit from such a variable because of
  special file systems.

                                      If you are doing some magics
nobody has an idea of, then you are in it on your own. I'm sorry.

Magic items will probably not be needed for the clarification of software behaviour.

Note this is not about alternative build ways, you can build the software
the way it works the best for you. If you have issues, then try the
Building wiki page, check what you've done differently and try to find
out what you do wrong, because you surely do something wrong.

Who would like to help with mentioned program start arguments
and related dependencies?

Regards,
Markus