Re: [Evolution] Slow response

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 09:02 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 10:44 +0100, Peter Saffrey wrote:
Just timed opening a new message at over 2 minutes. The folder had
been opened before. It's quite a big folder - 1600 messages - but the
message itself is only 6k.

Hm.  I don't have folders that big but others have posted here with much
larger folders without any issues.

Is the message plain text, or does it have lots of HTML formatting?  I
have a bug filed where some messages I receive, particularly from
Amazon, take well over a minute or two to open.  My CPU is very busy
during this as well.  These messages are NOT large; they are maybe 1100
lines long, and 30k or so.  Plenty of other messages, a lot bigger,
don't have this problem.

I get this too occasionally (not specifically from Amazon but from
random other places). Annoyingly, much of the time the message turns out
to be spam.

There's something about the HTML in this particular message that gives
either evolution or the gtkhtml lib or something fits.

Also timed moving a small mail between two previously opened folders
at about 30 seconds. It sounds like I'm still not getting the
performance I should.

I agree, that seems slow to me, although moving messages does sometimes
seem a bit pokey to me as well.

Will your new Makefile be sufficiently compatible with the old one
that I can drop it in and run an update cleanly?

Yes, definitely.  I doubt it will make much difference, though you can
try it.  It would be interesting to know what Evo is doing during this
time, but I don't have any idea how you can find that out.

It's also relevant to know what's the server, and how loaded it is. For
example, does a different client (e.g. Thunderbird) go any faster on
these folder operations?

poc