Re: [Evolution] Trash and Compose wierdness !? -[SOLVED -- I hope]

Hello William,

I had a similar problem. Since Fedora 9 I was having problems expunging
my whole Inbox (it was 900 MB or something). I was hopeful an upgrade to
Fedora 10 would fix my problem. It did not. Over the course of several
months, I had thousands of e-mails accumulate that could not be
expunged. In evolution, I would expunge the box, it would work for
several months and then tell me the expunge failed.

I solved the problem finally by firing up mutt (a text based mail
program). I decided to split my Inbox into 2009 e-mails and everything
else. I did this in evolution using the mail copy feature.

With a clear strategy for reducing the number of e-mails in my working
Inbox (I deleted all e-mail older than 2009 in my working Inbox). I
shutdown evolution and run mutt with my mailbox formatted Inbox file. It
was a matter of using the delete command 5,000 times or so in Mutt.
Luckily the mutt accelerator keys are easy to use and fast.

Within 30 minutes or so, I had my Inbox ready to use for evolution again
and expunging works again.

Morale of the story, don't allow your working Inbox to grow too large.

William, in your case you might be able to use mutt (or something
similar) to strategically delete the persistent e-mail that can't be
expunged.

Best of luck,
Rob