Re: Goal #3: item 'Photos dir'

Hi Ben,

thanks for discussing this.

>         My thoughts:
>         - it's *not* a good idea to let the user change the db path
>         while f-spot
>         is running, so we should'nt set this parameter via the
>         Preferences panel
>         or via Gconf
>
> How will you set it then?  Couldn't we set it and make the user
> restart?  Should we move the current db to the new location if one
> doesn't already exist?

My guess: keep the .gnome2/f-spot/photos.db where it is, and use it for
the default album. It's the safest solution to avoid users reporting on
'I cleaned my blah directory and f-spot lost all my pictures and tags'.

>         - it's safe to change the Photos dir (read Import dir) when
>         F-Spot is
>         running, and users wants to be able to change it
>
> Don't we want to make paths relative to Photos?  So that users can
> move it around as neccesary? Again, should we move the current Photos
> there if it doesn't already exist?

Is it the point of this part of the goal? did I misunderstood
something ? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the initials bugs entry and
patches were to whange the default directory where f-spot *imports*
picture when you select 'copy' or import directly from the camera.

Having all path relative to the Photos directory will break the actual
logic of f-spot.  As a remember, now, you can import picture without
copying them in ~/Photos, so f-spot is able to handle images outside the
Photos directory.

Moving and re-organizing images is (again, correct me if I'm wrong) the
subject of another enhancement proposal.

>         - overriding Photos dir and dp path should'nt change the
>         defaults in
>         gconf. With that, the user will be able to manage multiple
>         photo-collections.
>
> Agreed.
thx :)

So, in my mind, f-spot will run on one db (do not put the user in
trouble) with a configurable *import* directory, and with a possibility
to run f-spot on a different db (with or without another import
directory) as command line option.

For me, it's the best way to integrate all the requested features
without breaking the actual logic and users habits.

Regards,

Stephane