Re: RFP policy

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 12:23:31PM -0400, John Kodis was heard to remark:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 09:45:26AM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
>
> > You (we?)  need to cultivate a class of spec writers that will
> > e.g. add specs for SSL support in ghttp, and maybe document/extend
> > what ever the hell is in glib.  The spec writers/documentors are not
> > yet a part of gnome; maybe they don't perceive the reward for thier
> > efforts.
>
> I think that the prevaling culture that "he who writes the code, makes
> the rules" has precluded the participation of this spec-writer and
> API-designer class of hacker.

Yeah, well, I admit I usually like my own API designs better than
those of others, but not always.  Certainly, for big systems, standards
are key.

The problem that many projects have is that the coders are frequently
inexperienced, and make poor design choices.  There's any number
of times where I thought "geee, clearly the person who did this
doesn't know xyz, and it would be so much better if they did pqr
instead.  Gee, I think I'll write them and explain the concept ..."
and then it gets late, and I get tired ... and not infrequently,
coders are aloof, because they think they're smarter than you are.
I've had some classic run-ins with some gnome coders who were,
how shall I say it ... ignorant of what they were coding, unwilling
to listen or learn, and then botched the job as a result.
It can be exhausting to argue with a coder about a better way of
doing things, as one usually looses.

The RFP process is interesting, since it potentially short-circuits
the argument. Instead, you have a document, and if its well-written,
and its available before coding has started, then the coder will
look at it and say 'yeah this is a great idea, I'll code just like this'

The point being that if if the idea is written down *before* coding
starts, then its a great idea.  If its written down in a mailing
list *after* coding starts, then its clearly a stupid idea coming
from a moron who doesn't know anything, and who is only getting in
the way of programmers who are trying to be productive.

Just a fact of life, something I've learned repeatedly, the hard way,
from being on both sides of the fence.

--linas