Re: desktop mem usage [was Re: Candidacy - Alan Cox]

linas linas org (Linas Vepstas) writes:
> Is gnome-1.4 worse, or about the same?  I mean the core of the panel
> loaded with some 'typical' applets & sawmill?  Can I then load up
> one copy of evolution and a copy of galleon and a copy of abiword
> without mollases'ing the system?

Oh, 1.4 is definitely worse, and you will definitely note increased
hosage with each application launch. ;-)

All I'm saying is, I don't think it's in principle all that hard to
write a desktop that fits on a less powerful system. At the same time,
current priorities don't seem to be in that direction, although
certain optimization tasks (e.g. Nautilus new-window opening) are high
priorities even on powerful machines.

Havoc