Re: Membership, again [was: Re: 11 Questions to answer]

Hi Linas,

> On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 09:38:03AM +0000, Mike Newman was heard to remark:
> > On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 23:37, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> >
> > > Let me rephrase that:  despite being active on three different gnome
> >
> > No-one's membership was cut or purged without an attempt to contact
>
> I understand; I'm just flogging a dead horse.   The point being that
> some reasonable amount of activity & historical participation should
> be enough to automatically extend membership.

	The membership committee has at the beginning of the year to
	adhere clearly to the definitions of foundation membership
	and found ourselves in a no win situation.  Subseqeuntly, the
	matter has been raised to the board and matters have clarified
	somewhat. For this very reason, the 11th question for the candidates
	was proposed to bring awareness of the new board members.

> > reason, I would advise you to contact the membership committee at
> > membership-committee gnome org as soon as possible.
>
> The point being that doing even this little is just one more hassle
> factor that discourages participation.   In a volunteer organization,
> discouraging participation is deadly.

	We are happy to receive your application and certainly be processing
	your application favourably according to your contribution to GNOME ;)
	While we are trying to accommodate for everyone, do bear with us too
	as we are also volunteers.

Ghee Teo